The next Professional Development meeting will be held on
Thursday, March 24, 2016.
Please REGISTER to confirm your attendance.
A Story of the Quest for Quality and the Malcolm Baldrige Award
By Roy Dale Crownover
Dale is President & CEO of Texas Nameplate Company (TNC) in Dallas, Tx. He has received multiple awards and recognition for his visionary leadership of his company as well as the quality community in general.
Dale’s father, Roy Crownover, founded TNC in 1946. Dale has worked for this family-owned business since 1960. He started by sweeping floors, then working in the production areas, and assuming duties as President and CEO in 1989 at age 37. Dale’s father and mentor, passed away in 2008, leaving Dale with sole ownership of TNC.
Small Business Leadership Services and Current Responsibilities
“Dale” Crownover has held the positions of President and CEO of Texas Nameplate Company, Inc. (TNC) for 26 years. TNC is a 40-person, family-owned business located in Dallas, Texas that manufactures nameplates attached to products and equipment to educate and protect the safety of users. TNC serves a large and diversified customer base.
Dale’s visionary leadership for TNC has resulted in TNC and Dale receiving the following awards, recognitions and designations:
- 1996 Texas Quality Award. Smallest company to receive this honor at the time http://quality-texas.org/
- 1997 Texas Business of the Year, Texas Association of Businesses and Chambers of Commerce (TABCC) http://www.txbiz.org/directory/search/chambersearch.aspx
- 1998 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in Small Business. Award Profile @ http://patapsco.nist.gov/Award_Recipients/PDF_files/1998_Texas_Nameplate_Company.pdf
- 1999 Arthur Anderson Entrepreneur of the Year http://www.ey.com/US/en/About-us/Entrepreneurship/Entrepreneur-Of-The-Year
- 2004 ISO 14001-2004, Environmental Management System Certification. Criteria @ http://www.iso.org/iso/
- 2004 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in Small Business. Award Profile @ http://patapsco.nist.gov/Award_Recipients/PDF_Files/2004_Texas_Nameplate.pdf
- 2008 ISO 9001-Quality Management System Certification. Criteria @ http://www.iso.org/iso/
- 2008, selected as the 4th Quality Texas Foundation Fellow (QTF), the highest recognition of achievement for individual service and contributions to the Quality Texas Foundation. http://quality-texas.org/fellows/
- 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award, Hall of Fame, Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME), the highest recognition of achievement for individual service and contributions to manufacturing excellence. http://www.ame.org/
- 2013 Patent #8540285 B1 for chemical etched two dimensional matrix symbols.
- 2014-Present, Elder, Stagecoach Cowboy Church of Ellis County, Waxahachie Texas. http://www.stagecoachcowboychurch.org/
- 2015 Patent pending Continuation Patent of #8540285
- 2015 Patent pending System and method of by-product removal from a metal substrate.
- 2015 Patent pending Method and system for securing an RFID pipe tracker.
Service in State and National Professional Associations
- 1990 -1995 President, South Ellis County Water Supply Corporation, Italy, Texas http://www.nonprofitfacts.com/TX/South-Ellis-County-Water-Supply-Corp.html
- 1993-1994, Board of Examiners, Texas Award for Performance Excellence. http://quality-texas.org/
- 1996-1998, Board of Overseer, Quality Texas Foundation
- 1997-1999, Chairman of the Board, The Quality Texas Foundation
- 2000-2001, Board of Examiners, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Foundation
- 2001-2004, Member, Board of Directors, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Foundation http://www.baldrigepe.org/foundation/
- 2001-2003, Panel of Judges, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
- 2003-2004, National Treasurer, American Society for Quality
- 2004-2007, Chairman, Board of Director, Quality Texas Foundation
- 2004-2007, Chairman, Board of Directors, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Foundation
- 2008-2010, Chairman, Board of Directors, Quality Texas Foundation
- 2014-Present, Vice Chairman, Board of Director, Quality Texas Foundation. http://quality-texas.org/
Presentations and Publications
- 1998, All You Need Is Trust, Quality Progress, October, Author: Brad Stratton
- 1999, Co-Author, Take it to the Next Level, A Story of the Quest for Quality and the Malcolm Baldrige Award, NextLevel Press. http://www.amazon.com/Take-Next-Level-Dale-Crownover/dp/0966751906
- 1999, Making the Pitch in the Executive Suite, by Susan Daniels and Mark Hagen, Quality Progress, April, American Society for Quality, download @ http://asq.org/qic/display-item/?item=13386
- 2000-Present, hosted over 50 international organizations on site at TNC
- 2002, Baldrige Ambassador Presentations at request of the Australian government
- 2003, Baldrige Ambassador Presentations at request of the South Korean government
- 2003, Baldrige: It’s Easy, Free, and It Works, part of a multi-author article What’s the Best Quality System?, Quality Progress, July, American Society for Quality, download @ http://asq.org/qic/display-item/index.html?item=19139
- 2005, Next Level Leadership, by Kristin Johnson, Quality Progress, August, American Society for Quality, download @ http://asq.org/qic/display-item/index.html?item=20133
- 2008, Commencement Address, download @ LaTourneau University http://www.nameplate.com/2013/11/tnc-ceo-dale-crownover-delivers-commencement-letourneau-univeristy/
- Videos series (13 videos on TNC) and case study materials by Hattie Bryant, Small Business School, see videos @ https://vimeo.com/66148564
- Video, Texas Nameplate CEO Dale Crownover on Faith, Work and Quality, by Hattie Bryant, Small Business School, see videos @, https://vimeo.com/58136447
- 1997, BS in Business Management, LeTourneau University, at age 45
PD MEETING NOTE:
Normally, Professional Development (PD) meetings are always the fourth Thursday of every month. There are no meetings in June, July, August (summer break) and December (after Thanksgiving). PD Presentations are normally given between 5:30 and 6:30 PM: 45 minutes for the presentation and about 15 Minutes of Q&A at the end.
Interested in giving a presentation or tutorial at one of our future PD meetings? Contact the ASQ Dallas Chair (asqdallaschair at gmail dot com).